Friday, March 15, 2019

Et Tu, Email?

The road to publication is difficult. It is fraught with perils, dead ends, and more than its share emotional pit falls, as mentioned before. I know that there are some roadblocks I have yet to encounter, however, I would never have thought that my own email provider would be among them. No joke, my email provider told me 'no'.

Here's what happened: Literary agents have very specific guidelines for writing submissions. Most I've encountered have preferred that the submitting author send an email containing the basic query letter info; name, address, contact info, bio, short synopsis, etc. In addition, they request the first few pages or the first chapter of the writing in question.

Due to the potential of viruses and malware, most do not want attachments so all of these requested items have to be placed within the body of the email. The subject line of the email needs to contain certain specifics as well, though there is some variation in this depending upon the agent. Once you've compiled the requested info in the specified format, you send the query email on, cross your fingers, and hope and pray for a positive response.



But the other day, when I had prepared three different query letters for sending, I ran into a snag. Moments after I sent my first query email, I received a returned email notice. Concerned that I had entered an incorrect address, I went back to recopy the email address listed on the agent's page. Preparing the email a second time and entering the verified, correct email address, I sent it off feeling confident that I had resolved the issue.

Then, I had a second returned email response. Confused, I opened the returned email and found a large, glaring red stoplight and the words "Message Blocked". Message blocked, what does that mean? I took the time to read through the information under the Learn More link, finding the usual returned indications. Well, that's helpful. I've checked the address and it was correct...both times. At this point the only conclusion I could come to is that for whatever reason the email address was no longer functional.

Depressed that such a promising agent was no longer accessible, I pressed on to my second query of the day. Formatting the email according to the requirements of the agent in question, I put it all together and sent it off. Within moments I received that same Message blocked indicator. WTF? Blocked again?! I tear into the email to ensure that I had not accidentally entered the incorrect email address with this second agent. No, the email was correct. It was blocked again.

Now confused and growing frustrated, I attempt my third query email of the day. Formatting, rewording my subject line, and correcting the address, I sent it off. Sure enough, a moment later the email was returned with the red stop light stating that it had been blocked. Well, now I was beside myself with frustration. How could three emails to different agents all be blocked in the same way? Could all the addresses be no longer be active? No, there is very little chance that all of them would be inactive. Would they be returned as blocked in that case any how?

I spent more time attempting to alter the emails while staying within the guidelines indicated by the receiving agents. Still, they were returned blocked. What the hell was going on? My mind started reaching for answers. Had I been added to a listing of blocked authors sent to all these agents, all agents everywhere maybe? No, that didn't make any sense. Though I had received responses from agents indicating that they did not wish to represent me, they had all been positive messages. I could not imagine any of them adding me to a block list.

At wits end, I decided to research the problem. A quick google search later and I found an answer. The email service I used has a new filter that examines outgoing emails for potential spam and will prevent their sending. This was not indicated in any of the Learn More options I had reviewed, but definitely fit the 'blocked' statement. Even better, since it is an imbedded, company filter, there is no way to fix it, correct it, nor alter the settings to bypass it.

So, along with all the other challenges that stand before me, I come to find that my email service provider is now the biggest roadblock among them. Further research has led me to the inevitable conclusion that the only way to proceed is to find a new email provider. Given the purpose of the service, I find it incredibly irksome to have my queries denied outright without any control or consideration. It's like owning a vehicle that won't start if it doesn't like your chosen destination. So, on top of my search for an agent and a publisher, I now have to search for an email provider that won't sabotage my efforts to do any of it. The fight for the future persists...


No comments:

Post a Comment